KIRKMAN FAMILY

KIRKMAN FAMILY

4.22.2008

EaRtH dAy

Happy EARTH Day! I wanted to remember today so I could do something to honor the Mother Earth I love so much. As I was thinking of something for Canyon and I to do I remembered a few Earth Day type things…

As little girls Summer and I used to spend hours and pages writing about recycling. I am not sure what made us so interested in recycling, but it was on our mind and we had a lot to write about.

My parents used to make us pick up trash, not just ours, but any trash that was around. This usually happened when we were camping or hiking. Thanks MOM and DAD for making me not tolerate littering and not being too proud to pick up someone else’s trash for the sake of the environment.

So as I was remembering these things I thought it would be fun for us to plant a tree. That didn’t work out, but we did dig our hands into the wonderful dirt of Mother Earth and plant some more flowers. One thing Canyon loves it water and dirt. I hope and pray that he will be able to enjoy both for the rest of his life. Having children is motivating to take care of the blessings we have been provided. Here are a few things I am going to work on to be more GREEN…

~Scrape, rather than rinse, dishes before loading into the dishwasher; wash only full loads.
~Sweep outside instead of using a hose.
~Reduce/reuse/recycle: Practice the three R's: first reduce how much you use, then reuse what you can, and then recycle the rest.
~Turn off appliances and lights when you leave the room.
~Learn more about the household products I have and pay more attention prior to buying (
http://jpd.nlm.nih.gov – a good website I found for this).
~And finally ENJOY it more. Spend more time outside hiking, gardening, playing with the dogs, and just enjoying the miracles of life the earth gives us every day.





2 comments:

Summer said...

Oh Mri, this is why I love you. Good for you for doing something to celebrate Earth Day. I had to laugh when I read the part about us. I had forgotten about that, but I totally remembered as soon as I read it. I even remember that we (or at least I) always used a yellow legal pad. Weren't we writing a newsletter? You know, the next time you're searching for a good outdoor activity as well as feeling nostalgic, you could always throw on a shower cap and go for a naked bike ride. (Do you remember that?) Anyway, I love you lots. Happy Earth Day. YMBF.

moriah said...

of course i remember the naked bike ride (my first and only perm). and actually my first and only naked bike ride (not really a good idea). YMBF.