I was supposed to work this Christmas. I had mentally prepared myself. I figured Canyon is so small he won’t know that it’s Christmas and that I am not there. I was pretending to not care. But on the inside I was desperately trying to figure out a way to get out of work. Then the miracle happened… a co-worker wanted the extra cash for working a holiday and offered to pick up my shift. I jumped all over it. I was/am so thankful that she thought to ask me.
So here’s how our celebration turned out…
Christmas Eve: Being the procrastinators that Gary and I both are (it’s helpful if one partner is not a procrastinator, but oh well) we still had many presents to wrap and make before the big Kirkman Family Christmas Eve shin dig. Yes that’s right… MAKE! Last year we all decided to only give gifts you can make. For someone like me this is quite challenge, but has led to the most enjoyable gift giving experience I have ever had. So… in our frantic building, we were graced with the sweetest gift from my Mom to Canyon: A little red rocking chair that is over 100 years old. She refurbished it and it is precious. Canyon actually sits in it and seems to feel like such a big boy. After we finished our gifts we headed over to the Kirkman house where we were bundled up for a wagon ride (powered by a tractor that Gary’s dad drove). We (all the Kirkman kids, spouses, and offspring) traveled around the Harvest Valley neighborhood singing Christmas Carols and enjoying each other’s company. We then started preparing for the Christmas program that Lyndee puts on every year. THANK YOU LYNDEE!!! I can not say that enough. It is something that I truly enjoy every year. The manger included Bugs Bunny (KYLE) and a penguin (CANYON). Sweet. Adorable. Priceless. After feeling like Christmas Eve couldn’t get better we finally started to exchange gifts. Each gift seemed to be more thoughtful and more creative than the next. As I was looking around I noticed that people were actually more excited to give than receive (the real spirit of gift giving). We tied things up at the Kirkman’s and headed out to the Kothrade’s for the annual Christmas party. Although I have missed some Christmas Eve gatherings on the land it is something that I have always enjoyed and looked forward to. It was so fulfilling to see so many familiar faces and warm hearts. My Christmas Eve felt complete. As you can imagine Canyon was tired and didn’t last long. We headed home. Slipped into bed and slept like babies (and when I say babies, I mean Canyon’s usual routine of waking up about five times a night, haha).
Christmas Day: Gary and I were woken up by our little man popping his head out from between us grabbing at Gary’s hair and kicking my tummy. We didn’t really mind. We don’t usually ever mind. We quickly changed Canyon’s diaper, plopped him in the little red rocking chair that he had gotten the day before and started the gift giving again. Surprisingly Canyon seemed to understand the present thing. Scary. He enjoyed the presents, the paper, and a chewy spree candy carton that was in Gary’s stocking. I think he mostly enjoyed having his mama and dad in the same room giving so much attention to him. Gary’s gifts to me were so thoughtful and so appreciated. He made me a book shelf!! I absolutely love it. Thank you, Handsome!! Later that afternoon everyone came to our house for Christmas dinner. The food was good, the company was great, and the memories priceless. I can’t believe that I was actually going miss this day.
So here’s how our celebration turned out…
Christmas Eve: Being the procrastinators that Gary and I both are (it’s helpful if one partner is not a procrastinator, but oh well) we still had many presents to wrap and make before the big Kirkman Family Christmas Eve shin dig. Yes that’s right… MAKE! Last year we all decided to only give gifts you can make. For someone like me this is quite challenge, but has led to the most enjoyable gift giving experience I have ever had. So… in our frantic building, we were graced with the sweetest gift from my Mom to Canyon: A little red rocking chair that is over 100 years old. She refurbished it and it is precious. Canyon actually sits in it and seems to feel like such a big boy. After we finished our gifts we headed over to the Kirkman house where we were bundled up for a wagon ride (powered by a tractor that Gary’s dad drove). We (all the Kirkman kids, spouses, and offspring) traveled around the Harvest Valley neighborhood singing Christmas Carols and enjoying each other’s company. We then started preparing for the Christmas program that Lyndee puts on every year. THANK YOU LYNDEE!!! I can not say that enough. It is something that I truly enjoy every year. The manger included Bugs Bunny (KYLE) and a penguin (CANYON). Sweet. Adorable. Priceless. After feeling like Christmas Eve couldn’t get better we finally started to exchange gifts. Each gift seemed to be more thoughtful and more creative than the next. As I was looking around I noticed that people were actually more excited to give than receive (the real spirit of gift giving). We tied things up at the Kirkman’s and headed out to the Kothrade’s for the annual Christmas party. Although I have missed some Christmas Eve gatherings on the land it is something that I have always enjoyed and looked forward to. It was so fulfilling to see so many familiar faces and warm hearts. My Christmas Eve felt complete. As you can imagine Canyon was tired and didn’t last long. We headed home. Slipped into bed and slept like babies (and when I say babies, I mean Canyon’s usual routine of waking up about five times a night, haha).
Christmas Day: Gary and I were woken up by our little man popping his head out from between us grabbing at Gary’s hair and kicking my tummy. We didn’t really mind. We don’t usually ever mind. We quickly changed Canyon’s diaper, plopped him in the little red rocking chair that he had gotten the day before and started the gift giving again. Surprisingly Canyon seemed to understand the present thing. Scary. He enjoyed the presents, the paper, and a chewy spree candy carton that was in Gary’s stocking. I think he mostly enjoyed having his mama and dad in the same room giving so much attention to him. Gary’s gifts to me were so thoughtful and so appreciated. He made me a book shelf!! I absolutely love it. Thank you, Handsome!! Later that afternoon everyone came to our house for Christmas dinner. The food was good, the company was great, and the memories priceless. I can’t believe that I was actually going miss this day.



0 comments:
Post a Comment