KIRKMAN FAMILY

KIRKMAN FAMILY

1.10.2008

SLEEP




Canyon is a sleep. That is why I am updating my blog (still feel silly saying that). The other morning he actually out slept me. I swear he looks just like an angle when he is asleep. He was on my bed so I didn’t want to go far. I grabbed a magazine (those who know me well know I have an addiction maybe even a fetish with magazines) and sat on the floor right next to the bed. I read an article on bonding with your infant. I thought to myself, I don’t know if it is possible to bond any more with a person that I am with Canyon. Then it happened; his little body started to move. He heavy head arose from the pillow and he looked at me with hazy eyes and smiled. Our bond increased at that very moment. It was all I could do not to leap onto the bed and squeeze him. Actually that’s exactly what I did. I leaped and squeezed. We then enjoyed some snuggling, tickling, slobbering and laughing. Thank you GOD for my baby boy!!

On another note regarding sleeping I have been trying to get Canyon to sleep longer lengths and in his own room. While I love snuggling with him and regardless of what Gary says, he loves snuggling too; I think I would benefit from more sleep. I used to be the type of person who had to have eight hours of sleep at night, would fall asleep before anyone else at a slumber party; heck I have fallen asleep multiple times in movie theaters. Obviously that changed when Canyon was born. So here’s the deal. Canyon still nurses at night and wakes up about 4-5 times. He starts out in his room and then ends up in our bed. The last couple of nights I have been trying to let him cry himself back to sleep. He ends up crying for what seems like for ever. Actually not crying but howling like a barracuda. The entire time I am feeling like the worst mother ever, like I am breaking that sweet bond I just talked about. I am so overwhelmed by guilt that I end up going and getting him, bringing him to bed and snuggling him to sleep. So what I need from all you seasoned mothers out there is advice. Don’t hold back. Thanks.

5 comments:

CAPTURE photography said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cara said...

Seriously- I have just caught up on your life and feel more complete!

Summer said...

Are you sure you should be taking advice on how to bond with your baby from US Weekly?? Just kidding! I really love your blog, especially the story about the penguin in a manger. You Kirkmans are a quirky bunch. I'll see you tomorrow.

Sarah said...

Welcome back Morain, welcome back! I love your blog, you are not aloud to stop again. So those pajamas look familiar, they truly look better on a boy, speeking of little mans PJ's, how is the damn Ferber method working(its a love hate thing)? I think its been two nights since we talked so I am anxious to hear. Cant wait for the slumber party this weekend!!!!!

Brooke said...

Hey Moriah! I saw your blog from Summer's and was going to comment a while back, but I wasn't sure how often you checked. But, it looks like you're writing more now...yeah! Your little boy is so cute! And...Canyon is a name I have LOVED for years! I'm still seriously considering it... :)

About the sleeping thing--my advice is to do what works for both you and Gary. That's what I've had to learn. With Ellee--she ended up in our bed most nights until close to a year old(usually at about 5 or 6 in the morning she'd wake up and I wasn't ready for her to be up). But for the last several months, she's been in her own bed every night all night--of course she has rough nights occasionally. We tried the "cry it out" method--but, it NEVER worked for us. She'd cry so hysterically that she couldn't breath and she'd almost throw up and she'd just cry for hours without stopping. So...that didn't really help any of us sleep. Some of my friends have done that method and it worked for their babies though. So, I guess all babies are different. :) Now I'm trying to figure out how to get Ellee to just lay down in her bed and get to sleep on her own. She still starts pretty much every night in our bed and as soon as she falls asleep (which is usually within just a few minutes) we move her to her own bed and she'll sleep there all night. I think once they start eating more solids (and aren't nursing) it's easier to sleep through the night--at least that's how it was was with Ellee. Good luck!

Man! That was long! Sorry!